Sunday, August 28, 2005

Back on Track

Back on track. Sorry for the lack of updates. I’ve been back in civilization for a couple of weeks but have had a hard time getting back to blogging. However, the summer has been filled with cycling and cycling related events so I’ll get back soon with some stories.

During the summer I have modified my Kona Dr. Dew from a slick flat-bar racer to a slick flat-bar Touring/Commuter machine. I bought fenders, a rear rack and panniers. It has turned the bike into a more versatile vehicle that can take a lot of load and it’s so nice getting rid of my smelly backpack. I’ll get some before/after pictures up soon.

Finally I have bought myself a HRM. I started buying a Polar CS200cad but ended up with a Polar s725 Tour Edition. It is a long and complicated story with an unhappy start and a heartwarming end that I’ll get back to later.

New in life is that my paternity leave is over. Those 11 months passed really quick. It has been a wonderful time being home with my youngest daughter, Mimmi. The last two weeks my girlfriend has adapted Mimmi to the daycare center and all has gone really sweet and she loves to be there.

My older daughter, Siri, has started school now and she also likes her new environment. Siri has really improved her bicycle skills this summer so now we can ride side by side to school everyday.

The fact that paternity leave is over means going back to work. I took the opportunity to say goodbye to my old job as an in-house Java-developer at Spray Network during the last months of my leave and say yes to my new job as a Java-developer consultant at Mogul. The change of jobs has had a bad impact on my commuting since my new commute is 1.5 km opposed to my old 6.5 km commute. I Really like my new workplace and colleagues. Lot’s of new challenges and new things to learn. The shortening of the commute is a drag, but you can’t have it all :-)

Right now, Life is Good :-)

« Home | Next »

6 Comments:

Blogger Sascha said...

You guys have winter in sweden right? I always figure it balances out. I'm sad many days that I only have a 3 mile commute because it's so beautiful, but when the wind's blowing and it's 8 degrees, I'm glad it's short :)

Good to see you back!

8:28 pm  
Blogger Jank said...

Welcome back to work! Bummer about the commute, but it still beats sitting in a car...

4:30 am  
Blogger Johan Mörén said...

Sascha we got a pretty mean winter from time to time. Here in the middle of Sweden it usually dont get really cold but it's freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw all the time so the commute is either like riding through frozen marguerita (without the benefits) or skidding around like a luge on ice. But you get used to it and, Jank, it sure beats sitting in a car or taking the subway.

11:57 pm  
Blogger steve said...

Glad to see you back!

Just because the direct route is only 1.5km doesn't mean you can't make a bigger loop, though - I can usually stretch out my 13km inbound route to 17km or so by taking the scenic route ;-)

I know what you mean about the freeze/thaw, we get the same thing here - trying to ride on inch-deep rutted ice sucks...

1:26 pm  
Blogger Johan Mörén said...

Hi Steve. I tried to do that before on my old route but it's hard to keep up. family life seems to fill up all free time :)

6:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coming from the wet, dark place of Seattle in winter, I usually give up on cycling in the winter due to my short (3 mile) commute. It was just not worth the wet lycra drying in my office and the second wardrobe I kept at work, when I could just walk (and run). When it was longer (11 miles), everyday, regardless would find me on my bike. Unlike Halifax Steve, I am generally lacking motivation for winter cycling and won't be out making loops for fun. I have a hard enough time doing that in the summer!

Good luck though with piecing together a ride now and then through the winter and I want to hear more about how the panniers are working out and if you got to do a little weekend trip with them this summer.

4:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home